Thursday, July 23, 2009

Crazy Love Chapter 1

Well, I just got back from the men's bible study at church where we are reading through this same book and I was blessed by the conversation and the work in the hearts of the men by our great God this morning. I pray that God is challenging you through his Holy Spirit as you read His word and read this book. Every week on the blog we will summarize the chapter and challenge one another through the comments section.
As I read the preface I was quickly drawn in as he referenced the question he posed to the group of college students at the beginning. Is the church being what the church is called to be in scripture? This question has haunted me over the last weeks as we have thought about men of God and their desire for Him and churches that God uses in a mighty way and we have asked the question Why don't I have that passion and desire? So, I was hooked from the beginning, and thankfully he also tells us in the preface that this is not a come to Jesus and leave the church book. I believe the author knows that the church is the bride and God claims it with the blood of His son.
In chapter one we are confronted with the majesty of God. How do you approach God when you pray, or when you worship? Is He a genie in a bottle or a cosmic waiter in the sky? The creator of the universe, over 300,000,000 galaxies alone just to show His glory, and yet also the personal God who sent Christ to die for you and your sins. This is overwhelming. I pray that you were challenged. That you think next time as you approach God. That you would read through Isaiah 6 and Revelation 4 the descriptions of God and begin to think about the God you speak to and how you are even able to speak to Him?
What were you challenged with in this first chapter? I look forward to reading your comments over the next few days and responding to those. For next week, read chapter two. God bless, have a great day.

No comments: