Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Entrusted with the gospel

This week I want to focus on 2 Timothy 2:2, "and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." As a believer, it is not all about us. It is about who we are in Christ and what mission He has given us. There are a lot of things we can do that are good things here that will have little or no eternal impact. Let us live with eternity in mind and be faithful to share the hope that we have and also let us endeavor to entrust what we have been taught to others that they may share. This has happened over and over again in my life and I praise God for that. This week I want to encourage you with the stories of men who have shaped me and then encourage you to be one of those men.

I am so thankful for Tommy Pierce. He was the first pastor I ever had, and he faithfully entrusted the gospel to me. For Tommy, this meant he spent time with me. He made time every Tuesday evening one summer to teach me and a group of my friends about leadership, accountability, and loving the Savior. He encouraged me to go to seminary and receive further training and instruction there. He prayed for me and gave me opportunities to preach. He modeled faithful biblical exposition before me week after week. He loved his wife and his kids. He is a man that has impacted my entire ministry, and I am so thankful for that. He did what Paul instructed Timothy to do in 2 Timothy 2:2. May we go and do likewise.

As you read this today, thank God for men like Tommy Pierce, and resolve to be a man like Tommy Pierce. Entrust what you have been taught to someone else. Pour your life into those who will impact the generations to come.

No comments: