Saturday, May 2, 2009

What should a high schooler know about sexual immorality?

It's Saturday night and I am trying to make sure that I am coming at the text in Ephesians 5:1-14 from the right angle. Paul, or I mean God, is saying that because we are beloved children we should live and love in a certain way in the first two verses then he goes on to describe what that looks like for us as believers. The description focuses mainly on our sexuality. No doubt, the relevance of this has not changed since Paul wrote to the Ephesians nearly 2000 years ago.

My main concern tomorrow is those that will be with us that are teens and singles of all ages. One question I remember posing to my youth pastor growing up once I entered into the dating years is how far is too far? He quickly answered that as long as I was not thinking about sex in whatever we were doing I was safe. What a horrible answer. I probably have been guilty of giving that same counsel as a single man because anything else would probably have stepped on my toes. The answer in verse 3 is that there is to be not even a hint of sexual immorality. So, how far is too far? Not even a hint. Not even the slightest lust. I don't know too many people who could take that far beyond a hug or a peck on the cheek.

How about you guys? Did any of you get lame answers like this to this question? How can we answer it from this passage? What would you say to your child if they asked you? Throw these around. I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: